“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
— Maya Angelou, who celebrates her 84th birthday today!
Photo: Maya Angelou teams up with Common to launch PEN’s Edmont Society, a committee dedicated to young readers and writers.
Happy Birthday, Maya Angelou, born 4 April 1928
12 Remarkable Maya Angelou Quotes
- The honorary duty of a human being is to love.
- I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Surviving is important. Thriving is elegant.
- Talent is like electricity. We don’t understand electricity. We use it. You can plug into it and light up a lamp, keep a heart pump going, light a cathedral, or you can electrocute a person with it.
- When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.
- There’s a world of difference between truth and facts. Facts can obscure truth.
- My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors.
- Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
- Life loves the liver of it.
- The idea is to write it so that people hear it and it slides through the brain and goes straight to the heart.
- When you learn, teach, when you get, give.
- Some critics will write ‘Maya Angelou is a natural writer’ - which is right after being a natural heart surgeon.